Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Lesson 18: Working With Lists... and Other News

We're starting to get closer to the end of this Learning to Program series. After toying with menus and interface colors in the last lesson, we apply some of the concepts used with menus to get the hang of using list boxes and discover along the way a few bizarre sports that really exist. Games people play. Sheesh.


In other news, I've been running a little slower with the lessons as the school year winds down -- 12 school days and counting as of today! It's a little tougher to get the time and motivation to write when time's tight and Valve released Portal for free. Sometimes it's a tough choice. ;-) I've also been spending time -- mostly on the weekends -- doing some serious hacking on PalEdit. The more I work with it, the more I discover that it's like going to the Olive Garden: high-quality spaghetti. I managed to rip out all of the rez resources (yay!) and strip it down to pretty much bare metal.

Right now I'm in the process of refactoring the sources so that source code editing is encapsulated into a single BView. This has helped immensely with my understanding of how to write a text editor. It will also enable tighter integration of the editor with Paladin's project management and hopefully enable me to figure out how to implement code completion, the one sorely-missing feature on my personal hit list. I guess we'll see.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for all those great lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lessons and this one in particular. Hope you will cover replicants as well.

    ReplyDelete