Now that I'm back from my vacation over Christmas break, things can get back to abnormal. I was traveling around with a laptop that dual boots Ubuntu Linux and Haiku and I discovered that, much to my chagrin, there are some bugs in Haiku that prevent me from doing significant Paladin-based development from within Haiku. Rats. On the upside, though, I did some heavy reading, learning more about both Python and Java. I don't plan on doing much, if anything, with them at the moment, but the reading was good for giving me a different perspective on programming.
I have put together a new development box which is well-suited to BeOS development: a 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading, 1GB of RAM, an nVidia Quadro-based video card (with BeOS support for 3D-acceleration), and lots of hard drive space. It runs XP, Xubuntu, R5, and Haiku. Paladin's multithreaded compiles seem to have a bit of a speed bump over R5 -- which doesn't recognize the hyperthreading -- but not as much as I'd like. The disk is probably the bottleneck, so I guess it can't be helped. Oh well.
School starts back up today, so it's back to the grind, but because I should be settling back into the usual school routine, I should be back on track for more Paladin development shortly, especially being I found out that it crashes whenever you try to reorder file groups. Oh well. A programmer's work is never done. :-)