Monday, September 8, 2008

Still Busy and Still Hacking

The school year is in full swing now... the third week of school already, and the last two went very fast. There hasn't been as much code as I would like, but it can't be helped. This year is quite different because of the move my school is making to a new, multimillion dollar facility, which, when it comes to schools, isn't really saying much. I was supposed to be teaching Band at the new building and Computers at our big campus in Columbus, but enrollment was down, so I'm doing custodial work. At first, I didn't really like it much, but it's growing on me. It used to be that I just fixed computers around the building, and now I fix other stuff, too. My wife and I work a cross between first and second shift, so it's been quite a lifestyle adjustment for the family. I've started to get the hang of it, so I've been able to make the non-work part of my life fit in again, like code.

I've got a new release for the Filer pretty much ready to go out the door. It's been held up for a while because I haven't had time to get it packaged up and handle the inevitable busyness -- in a good way -- that follows a release. I'm still hacking away at the new Deskbar, tentatively titled DeskPanel. It's been a real pain in the neck. I slapped together some icons that, while not my best work, look halfway decent. The layout code has been a real problem. I walked away after 3 hours of fighting with it. I also cleaned up some of the interface-related code that handles the Programs menu, but most of the time was spent on layout. A major pain. Hopefully, I'll have more good news to relate next time. TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment