Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Still Here

Yep, all quiet on the front, but not for any bad reasons or anything. I've been spending quite a lot of time working on the renovations in my house. Last summer, my wife and I started working on fixing up our house for when we finally decide to sell it and move closer to work. My living room was in a nice state of plaster covered with drywall mud when school started. 9 months later, I got back to working on it. You know you're in education if your life is school 9 months of the year. I can safely say that it's about 75% done -- 3/4 of the room is completely done and the other 1/4 isn't much beyond having the walls stripped and ready to start with mud. It'll probably be pretty close to completely done by the end of the week, thankfully.

Codewise, I'm still working on the GUI designer foundations -- list controls, buttons, and checkboxes work right now. There is still a ton of work before it's worth using for anything, but I'm not giving up. I've been working a bit on the development branch of Paladin, too.

The last couple of days I've been working on an alternative using SoftwareValet packages. The reason? Release time for Paladin is a major pain in the neck, mostly because the same set of procedures needs done each time and they have to be done manually. This, on more than one occasion, has led to mistakes in the package, in the build, or something else. This goes back to one of Joel Spolsky's questions in his 12 Steps to Better Code article. If you've not read this article and you are either a developer or work with one, you should definitely read it. To save the rest of you who don't want to bother, you should have it possible to make a build -- from checkout to compiling all the targets -- in one step. The BeOS platform doesn't have something like that... yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment