Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Filer 1.0 Beta 1 Released!

I haven't released any new software in such a long time that I forgot how exciting a time it is. I just got done posting the release to BeBits and Haikuware. Last night I was hacking away at it, and when I finished, I thought, "oh, wow, this is cool!" I certainly haven't had a moment like that in a long, long time.

One of the really neat things about it is being able to grab Axel's id3attr from BeBits (that creates attributes from MP3 tags) and use the Filer to organize an MP3 library. You can do this because of pattern substitutions and the ability to use bash commands. Pattern substitutions are a feature in cd ripping software where you can set a format for a file name, such as writing in %A - %T.mp3 to have the software make files with names like Skillet - Savior.mp3 and Big Tent Revival - Two Sets of Joneses.mp3. Unzipping a Zip file to the Desktop is as simple as one command: unzip '%FULLPATH%' -d /boot/home/Desktop. %FULLPATH% substitutes the full path of the file being processed before the command is executed. I listed some other examples in the help file bundled in with the executable.

If you come up with a really neat rule, put it in the comments or e-mail me and I'll put it up to share with everyone. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Darkwyrm, I posted a news item on http://beosnews.com/.
    I realy think you should do some "youtube" demo of the various things you can do with your app.
    Nice work !

    ReplyDelete
  2. DW, good stuff.

    It would be nice if you blogged about this on the Haiku website. It's going to give your app a lot more exposure there, and the more people that know about it, the more likely you will get more users, which I am sure is what every dev wants to see happen with their software, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I've even made some news. Neat! I don't think I will have time to make a video, as nice as that would be, but I've come up with a new beta which adds a few new features and some bugfixes, and I'm not done yet, either. I might make one when things cool down some, though.

    ReplyDelete