Wednesday, July 2, 2008

My Summer So Far

It's almost like I've taken a complete vacation from anything online, but my summer schedule has been packed. Solid. I've been... repurposed at my school and doing the job search thing. There wasn't anything at all available by the time I started, so I'm still at the school I've been working at for the last 8 years. On top of that, I've been working like a dog at renovating my house so that I can sell it a little later this year. Hopefully, that'll be before the end of the summer, but at the rate I'm going, I'll be lucky to be done by that time.

Not everything has been paint, drywall, and resumes, though. The skunkworks has gone back into production. It took some time, but I managed to put together a basic coding machine from spare parts -- my workhorse can't run R5 or Zeta, which is a huge bummer. It has some minor issues, but it works well enough to get the job done. Unfortunately, I don't have a good coding environment (i.e. desk, forearm rests, decent chair), so I'm waiting on a KVM to arrive so that I can sit the development box beside the other one and be able to work without hurting myself.

I have my R2 document about as done as it's going to get, but because it seems like some people tend to offer their opinions without giving serious consideration to many of my ideas (and because design also needs testing), I've been hacking some code to put teeth to my ideas. So far things have worked as I expected them. Some are really exciting to play around with. Others need some more hacking. What are these things you ask? I'm not quite ready to let everything out of the bag just yet, but I'll tell more later. For now, one thing I will say that I'm studying the sources for Tracker and the Deskbar to be able to... improve them. I was never allowed to do anything official for R2 while a member of Haiku, but nothing is stopping me from doing stuff on my own while I have time this summer. Who knows? Maybe some of it will go into the official stuff then. It'd be nice to see R1 in the near future. I'd do some work, but it's terribly boring work and most of it is too technical for me to be able to do anything besides test. Oh well. I'm working on the fun stuff right now. *heh*

Just to give you an idea of what I've been up to, renovation-wise, here are the before and after photos of my bedroom, and it was not nearly as nice-looking as the before photo would have you to believe. The new wall color looks kind of pinkish in the photo, but's a nice light brown that looks awesome IRL.




No comments:

Post a Comment