I just kind of fell into a coding session this afternoon and this evening and it yielded some great results. I managed to get a well-known Linux tool, ccache, built for Haiku and Zeta and tweaked Paladin to take advantage of it. I did some testing on my P4 3.0 Ghz with hyperthreading (a dual processor machine to Haiku) with a copy of the sources to FtpPositive that I had lying around. The results completely blew my mind.
|Build Type||Build Time|
|single-threaded, uncached||13 seconds|
|multithreaded, uncached||12 seconds|
|single-threaded, cached||~3.5 seconds|
|multithreaded, cached||~2.25 seconds|
That's an 80% improvement with build caching! For small projects with only a few files, it doesn't make nearly that big of a difference, though. The bigger the project, the bigger the boost, it would seem.
I also found a few bugs that I managed to squish that were related to a feature that I implemented during the snow days I had earlier this week and discovered another one which needs to be taken care of plus some more general testing before a release can be made. When it's all done, though, this will be a really nice improvement over the last development release and a huge leap over the stable branch.