Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Everything Happens on October 8th

...At least if you read Dave Barry Slept Here, a Sort-of History of the United States. My high school American History teacher would read the class excerpts from time to time. From the way work is currently going, every day feels like October 8th, because everything seems to be happening all at once. I am, however, taking time to write some code, but I'm also (almost continually) reminding myself that I started back up in the code trenches because I wanted to, not because of some sense of obligation.

For as long as I can remember, I have had a strong sense of duty, i.e. if I feel responsible for something, I make sure that it gets taken care of properly. That's probably why things were so hard for me with Haiku: a lack of time combined with a sense of responsibility leading to frustration and, ultimately, a lack of enjoyment of what I do. Thanks to the change in my job description from last year to this (music teacher -> janitor), I have learned how much I need to enjoy what I do. Things have gone from "I love what I do" to "Gee, do I really have to go in today?" :(

As a nice diversion (I need variety) from my work on the DeskPanel, I've been working with Oliver Ruiz Dorantes (urnenfeld) and Tako Lansbergen on Niue. The current code is a mess, so there are efforts to clean up the code. Code cleanup isn't exactly the most exciting thing in the world, but for a neatnik like me, it fits. Maybe more to write about next time. Until then, readers, God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment