Saturday, July 10, 2010

No More Hangs for Paladin

Those of us who run Haiku under a multicore machine can finally breathe a sigh of relief. For about as long as I can remember -- probably as long as it's had multithreaded builds -- Paladin has suffered from problems with locking up under Haiku. There never was a problem with it when I was developing Paladin from within R5 or Zeta, though.

Over the last couple of days, I've been doing some serious development on Paladin from within Haiku and one product of said hacking has been Haiku bug #6288. I've been working pretty closely with Ingo Weinhold on the problem and he was very kind in teaching me a few system-level tricks along the way, particularly with the kernel debugger. The result? Revision 37460 patches the problem. Considering that several bugs that Paladin development has exposed are still open AFAIK, I'm really thankful for Ingo patching this one -- I wouldn't have had a clue where to begin.

All of this effort I've been putting into Paladin this week has resulted in some new features and bugfixes. Running a project in the debugger now works again following a patch to both Terminal and Paladin, for example. I'm going to finish one major feature, see if I can fix problems in the code library, and start going into the test phase for a new release. I haven't a clue when that release will be, but, worst case, it should be here by the time I have to go back to school next month, barring major problems -- hopefully much, much sooner. Until next time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment